Monday 10 November 2008

A new mum experience

There are certain situations I find myself, that I would never have dreamed I would be in, now that I am a mum. I mean, there are some things that you can be aware of - such as sleepless nights, etc - and then there are days like today.

I made an appointment early this morning with our doctor. She could fit me in at 11.15am, so LQ and I bussed ourselves over to the clinic around that time. To make sure she was giving the correct diagnosis, the doctor asked me to get a urine sample. Easy enough when I am by myself..... but with LQ, a completely different situation.

LQ and I toddled off to the toilet to collect the sample. Things got tricky when LQ decided she wanted to help. First she wanted to help me hold the cup in place -eewww! Then she insisted on screwing the lid into place. Because both my hands were otherwise engaged, I had to keep LQ away by elbowing her.

Although it got a little messy in there, I managed to keep LQ away from the container and its contents. As I am sitting on the pot trying to keep LQ away from my "sample" I realised that this situation used to be what my nightmares consisted of.

You know those nightmares where you walked around school naked, or with no pants on? Well, that's what parenting is ALL about. No longer will I pee in peace.... as long as I get dressed in front of LQ I am sure my body will be laughed at... those quiet reflective showers - gone. And worst of all, if I have at least two more children, I will be wiping someone elses butt for at least 8 more years.

And then I carried my sample out in full view of at least 20 people.... and I didn't care.

Without fail, LQ falls asleep like this EVERYTIME

3 comments:

LBBlum said...

Sounds like you are figuring out motherhood pretty fast. I say- first baby is the hardest... because it is SUCH A CHANGE in lifestyle.. the next ones are easier.. you are already "broken in"

just wanted to pop over and say- HI- I am CRASH's real life next door neighbor.
But we refuse to speak to each other in public- we prefer to visit each others blogs instead. {too hard to get out of the house with a little one..- I'm sure you understand.}

Amelia Smith said...

Are you PREGNANT?! I can't wait till Audrey wants to help me out with everything, I'm sure that's fun :) The video of Isabel is so cute.

Hel said...

Hi Laura, thanks for coming over.

Amelia: I was thinking that it might be construed as that! No pregnancy in sight. Just your ordinary run of the mill UTI. Ugh!