Sunday 9 November 2008

It's the Blair Witch Project all over again

I am not sure if I and my group of friends were just silly, but I remember when the Blair Witch Project was released, we were told that it was a REAL documentary and believed it. I am sure that had I seen the Blair Witch Project when I KNEW that it was a real life documentary, it would have made for a VERY exciting and thrilling experience. Unfortunately, I managed to avoid seeing the film until after all the hype had died down and it was common knowledge that it was indeed directed and produced very well.

Now I am in a situation that is quite like the Blair Witch Project. Well sort of like the situation I was in when the Blair Witch Project came out.

Just recently a new blog appeared that seemed to gain popularity really quickly. It is a story of a girl who is in love with her best friend. Sound familiar? I am sure you have heard the story many times. This blog was well written and had me hooked. I LOVED that it was a real person who was able to tell a fantastic story of her love life. I fell in love with it because it reminded me so much of my own tragic love stories. I was hooked. I would check her blog at least six times a day in the hopes of another update in her train wreck love life. Every now and then I would have a sneaking suspicion that maybe someone was just having us all on, but I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind because I really enjoyed believing it was real.

AND THEN, the author of the blog revealed the truth behind it all. I was so impressed with how well she had me hooked. She took votes on whether she should continue, I voted yes. I was intrigued as to how the story ended. I am not one of those people that became really mad, I was more jealous that she had been able to draw so many people in with her writing!

I still read My Super Hopeless Romance. But it is just like the Blair Witch Project. Now that I know it isn't real, it seems to have lost a lot of its allure and excitement. I will continue reading it, only now it will be without the obsessive lurking that was involved before.


This guy ruined my real life super hopeless romances. I should tell you all about it one day.

8 comments:

The Crash Test Dummy said...

That was so dang funnnnny! I totally agree!

Thanks for following me all the way from Australia. So fun to have an Aussie on board.

Britney {Jesses Girl} said...

oh no. you got me hooked on that blog now too! so funny...so cute.

looks like i'll be doing LESS studying and MORE reading of that blog.

:]

Funny Farmer said...

Hi Aussies! I followed the Big Dummy over here. Love that girl.

LOVE the Blair Witch Project parallel. Many layers of irony in your comparison--I am still chortling over that. Sue will be so pleased! (oh and you bet she'll know - I think she trolls the blogosphere for any mention of MSHRomance.)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

SO I came over from Crash's site...people call her dummy but I think that's racist so I just call her Crash...but anyway...just from this post I can tell I'm going to like your writing alot! :)

Plus I'm obsessed with Austrailia...you really from there? Or did you just put that on your profile so you would look a lot cooler and more intriguing...cause I wish I would've thought of that! :)

Hel said...

CTD: I'm glad I could be an Aussie for you!

brit jean: I HATE when I lose three hours by stumbling across a good blog. So sorry!

funny farmer: The only reason I mentioned the blog's name was so I could get in on the Super Hopeless Romance action!

shelle: I'm glad you made it all the way over here. CTD gave me a nickname, so I might give her one... what do you think of Testie? Yes, I am completely Australian. Although I married an American, so I am not as cool as I should be.

Amelia Smith said...

Thank you Helen for getting me addicted to a fake blog :) Instead of doing laundry or something useful during Audrey's nap I spend the whole time reading about Cordy and Seth. Obviously I have to see what happens, so I will be continually checking my super hopeless romance.

Wendyburd1 said...

Crash said she had an Aussie follower, which made me so jealous, hey I am 1/4 Aussie, so what up with that?!LOL

I was 100% fooled by "Cordy" and am a bit bitter, I just think the author should have come clean after maybe 20 emails with people pouring their hearts out to her, or a fake her. Not wait for 100's. Just my opinion

Hel said...

Oh I am so sorry Amelia!! I know how frustrating it is to find that the precious nap time has been whittled away by frivolous blog reading. I am, sadly, quite good at doing it. I give you permission to hit me when you see me.

Wendyburd: Yeah, I get it. I guess because I was so guarded I wasn't as invested as others were in the whole thing. maybe if she hadn't protested being told she was fake.... I guess it's a lesson learned.