Friday 6 March 2009

Time by Mickey

I have recently realised that my life has begun to be measured in Mickey Mouse time increments.

As I walk past the television showing nothing but Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I note that Mickey and Donald, on their quest to find Donald's Boo Boo chicken, have only just begun to climb the beanstalk. "Good" I say to myself, "at least 15 minutes left for me to finish the vacuuming."

"Mickey's pumping up the tyres on the toon car - 10 minutes of blog stalking left."

"What!? Are we really already up to the fourth mouskatool? I need to get my butt into gear or I am NEVER going get these clothes folded."

"Is that 'shake, shake, shake your peanut' I hear?" I murmur as I furiously mix the last of the ingredients together for our dinner. "I am so screwed... I still have to peel the potatoes."

And like the mathematic problems laboured over so diligently throughout my high school years, I now labour over this sort of mathematical problem - "If Mickey and Minnie are still on the boat with Pete in Minnies quest to find the Hula Hibiscus, and my shower time (sans the leg shaving) can be accomplished in less than 15 minutes, will both events finish at the same time?"

I call it Mickey time. I am sure LQ would call it something like "Mi joo".

5 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That is such a neat insight - I do that with my kids favourite shows but I hadn't really recognized that I do!

Lisa said...

My youngest is in the same television phase as LQ. I've seen/overheard every one of those Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes. And I often wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom singing, "hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog . . ."

That Girl said...

HA! Love this. I totally do the same thing, only with Sesame Street.

(DANG! We're already on to Elmo's World?! ... eleven minutes left ....)

Unknown said...

Oh, Helen, you are ON today! This had me laughing out loud! How sad is it that so much of our life can be gauged by the television? Oh well. I'm over it. (Not much for introspection, am I?)

Cajoh said...

I think that is so cool that you can calculate things based upon something like that. You have an amazing talent. Keep it up.