Tuesday 17 March 2009

Something Smells Funny

For the last week or so I have been getting a whiff of a bad smell. It is not necessarily the same bad smell each time, a bad smell nonetheless. As I lay in bed late last night, my olfactory senses got the better of me. My head raised slightly and my dainty nose sniffed in every direction trying in vain to pinpoint that elusive bad smell. I leaned over to catch Dal out - you just never know, he may be relaxed enough to allow some leakage.

No leakage to be discovered. A loving pat on his thigh and a murmured "good boy". I continued the quest to find THE smell. The bad smell eventually left of its own accord and I was able to drift off.


Dal & LQ were dragged out this morning to a fabric store (I have given myself a project). I was again accosted by bad smells. These could be easily excused away by the many people surrounding me. This afternoon however, on our drive to LQ's dance class - in a car with closed windows and recycled air conditioning - I started to smell "something" AGAIN. I panicked. Have I been the origin of these bad smells all this time? How long has this social suicide been going on!!? I still couldn't figure where exactly the smell was coming from, so as we idled at the red light I began a thorough examination of myself with my nose.

Head down near my feet, I sniffed hastily. Not there. I moved my head slowly up my body, turning it from side to side, DETERMINED to find where those smells were coming from. Nothing. I finally reach my underarms (knowing full well that I had just applied deodorant), arms lifted, I take a good whiff. Nothing but sweet air. As I sigh with relief, I look over to my left and out the window. The tradesman in the van next to me seemed to have enjoyed the frantic smelling show considerably.

I am still at a loss as to why I keep getting these bad smells up my nose. I have become so used to ignoring these smells, I didn't realise LQ had dirtied her pants the other day. While we had company. Alls I know is, it is NOT me.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Any chance your pregnant? That always heightens smells for me. :) But I feel like I live in the land of phantom smells, too. It's a constant mystery.

Cajoh said...

I'm never good enough at remembering who, but someone back in November noticed a bad smell and it wound up being a dead animal in the air ducts. Hopefully you can isolate when you smell it to give you some clues as to what it might be.

Unknown said...

Steph had the nighttime diaper pile from hell stacked up behind the bookcases, didn't she?

But since this one is portable, I'm going to have to agree with Stpeh on this one. Any little blue sticks in your immediate future?

If so, that may also be the answer to your "where to from here" question, huh?

Amelia Smith said...

I was going to ask the same questions as the first persons comment. When I was pregnant everything smelt really strong especially the bad smells. :)

Hel said...

Oooh! I had forgotten about Steph's hidden diapers. Now I am on smell red alert.

As I posted this to my blog last night, I also had the thought that my sense of smell was heightened when I was pregnant. But it didn't seem to start until I was in the throes of pregnancy. Although it's possible... it's not likely.

Skebba said...

Pregnancy was what I was going to suggest as well. Or some hormonal change. I noticed that things begin to smell different as I get older! Not kidding!