Thursday, 12 February 2009

Evening Serenity

Wii Fit Age: 24

How's the serenity.

Hi my name is Hel and I am admitting that I don't know what I am doing. It turns out, this mothering thing is all just a big guessing game. But if it's a game, who is having fun?

LQ, that's who. If LQ were not my daughter, then I would have left the relationship years ago. It is an abusive relationship at best. She toys with my emotions, turning up the cuteness each day. She knows that I am smitten and uses that irrational love against me when I least expect it. She demands my full attention each day, and if I am enjoying a "me moment" she hits me with whatever tool is available - Fisher Price Little People, blocks, drink bottles. I feared for my life this morning after staying in bed while she walked around the house with daddy. She came back with a serving fork and knife. As she brandished them in the air with sweet abandon I felt it best for my health and hers that I move my lazy bones from the bed and take those nasty weapons from her.

LQ is like that. Some times she wont even let me do chores without clutching at my leg and trying to turn me in the opposite direction. This tactic is known to cause pain as both she and I become tangled up, limbs flailing, me jumping around trying not to crush her as I topple.

Want to know the most abusive trick she has up her sleeve? Crying. Crying so she can stay up later than she is allowed to, thus driving me to get less sleep myself. What kind of 2 year old knows the old torture method of sleep deprivation?!

Well, these last two weeks have been nothing but torture. No "me" time at all, because LQ insisted on screaming most evenings until she got her way and was whisked from the crib.

UNTIL, yesterday. I babysat Eloise. Do you remember Eloise? sweet little thing that claims she is six, but is only 2.5. I believe I locked her and LQ in her house one day. Not one of my finer moments.

Anyway... hoping to get a break while the both of them had a nap yesterday, I took LQ upstairs to the portacot. She started to fuss around and then threw her binky out of the portacot. I really didn't have the time to waste with the Little Queen, so I gave her back her binky and closed the door as I walked out.

I didn't hear from her again! What? No complaining that you have been left alone?

I couldn't believe my luck. I thought I would stretch this luck and try the same method at bed time. Worked like a lovin' charm! LQ was asleep by 7.30pm. recently it has been more like 10.00pm. AND NOT A PEEP was heard.

I thought for sure it wouldn't last, but here I am - two nights in a row that I have had to myself. Worst luck that Dal hasn't been around for both those nights, BUT still.... I just can not believe it.

Which only points to my complete and total ignorance when it comes to being a mother. I believe I will fumble through the rest of my motherhood, just accidentally coming upon good methods of raising my children. Let us all pray I am accident prone.


Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

I've been meaning to post about this concept, but motherhood is a LOT like doing science project over and over again: "let's see if this works..." Hang in there, we just figure stuff out a little at a time.

DeNae said...

You may want to look into reports of a very short cat-burglar menacing homeowners in your area by tangling up their legs and then toddling off with the good silver.

I'm pretty sure this is why she's so "quiet" in there. She's gone out the window.

Mattias, Karissa & Enzo said...

Good Job! I believe parenting is all about trial and error and finding what works for you and your little one. I think you are doing a great job.