Thursday 22 October 2009

Granny Jules

My lower back is collapsing in on itself. It has become progressively worse over the last 4 weeks and today I am almost completely incapacitated.

This means two things. LQ gets run of the house (lots of cartoons, crackers and plenty of old floor food) and I am jacked up on painkillers.

While the cartoons play and LQ kicks whatever she feels like kicking, I have been looking through old photos (going back to 2004 - really old) on our external hard drive.

One particular photo I really wanted to show you is of me and my mother-in-law. I am not sure if I have any other ones quite like it. This one makes me want to tell you all about my wonderful mother-in-law.

Helen and Julie

The first time I met Granny Jules (who wasn't Granny Jules until some time later) she was wearing a very loud, very garish sequined vest. Her mother had been given the task of picking Dal and his mystery girl up from the airport and delivering us straight to the house. So as we walked through the garage into the house we were greeted by a brightly coloured and very busy Granny Jules. She was on her way to join some other garishly dressed gals to sing to a bunch of old people. She gave me a big hug and such a warm smile that I figured I must have done something really good in a previous life if I got to marry into this kind of family. Not that marriage was on the cards at that point in time. Or was it?

Granny Jules is a beautiful singer. LQ has a lullaby CD filled with Granny Jules singing just to her (sort of).

Dal's family are a group of quick-witted bright people who all seem to talk at a mile a minute. But Granny Jules is always happy to listen to whatever I say as I slow down the pace of the conversation. I never feel as though I have said something stupid (except one time... and I really did say something stupid, so it was totally my fault. I made myself feel stupid). I adore listening to Dal and his mom talk to each other. They seem to never lack in interesting conversation.

Granny Jules has very high standards and morals. I think this may be one of the reasons she has such wonderful children. Despite her love for the Twilight series, it seemed that once they started to become a little shady in the moral arena, she didn't think twice about putting them down. She is uncompromising on her standards even when her sons give her a ribbing for it. And I so dearly admire her for it.

From the moment I met Granny Jules she has made me feel loved and at ease within her family. I love that I got so lucky with getting such great in-laws, especially Granny Jules.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great honk, Helen, just how short ARE you?

And your MIL sounds awesome. What a neat tribute. She also looks to be just a tad bit older than me, which is so very, very sad...

Masonry Oakland said...

Loved reading this thank you