Sunday 20 April 2008

Keeping Up Appearances


I've had reason to think a lot about appearances the last couple of days. I am one of those people that likes to compare myself harshly with others - just to see how I'm doing in life. The unfortunate downside to comparing myself with others is that I generally don't get to see the "full story", so I end up seeing what appears to be a far superior life than my own.

For example, I'm never too sure how other women feel about motherhood, staying at home, having children, working, etc. I always feel as though I'm the only one complaining about housework and the lack of a real job. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not constantly complaining about those things, but sometimes I get a little bit down about it all (probably has something to do with my cycle, etc). So when I see another new mum that appears to be living life to the fullest and doesn't seem to have a care in the world (ever), I start to get knots in my tummy and start questioning myself.

BUT, I had a breakthrough in these past couple of days. I was given insight into a seemingly perfect life, and all of a sudden, it didn't look that perfect. What was even more astonishing was the comment made to me that my life looked perfect! I had never thought of that before.

So, I think I'll keep up my apparent perfect life.... but please be aware that it's probably just as imperfect as yours.

No comments: